*actual design and color may vary slightly from that shown in the image
Aranmula Kannadi or Aranmula Metal Mirror is a special type of mirro produced at Aranmula, a heritage village in Pathanamthitta Dist, Kerala. This 16th century unique mirror-making tradition still survives and manufacture of this craft has been a zealously guarded secret with few families. A cast of high-tin bronze mirror of 33% tin with highly polished surface or reflective properties is made which is incomparable and much better than the modern mercury glass-coated mirrors
Aranmula Kannadi features:
- Extra ordinary Hand Made Aranmula Kannadi, is Famous for bringing prosperity, luck and wealth to home.
- Aranmula Kannadi is famous for its secretive construction method and uniqueness in the make which get Patent protected with a Geographical Indication tag
- It is the only metal mirror available, Unlike Ordinary Glass mirror, Image from Aranmula Kannadi is reflected from upper surface of reflecting material, where in Glass mirror image reflected from bottom layer where mercury is pasted . So real image is only captured in the Aranmula kannadi.
- Aranmula Kannadi is one among 8 auspicious items included famous astamagalaya set ,which usually used for very auspicious function like marriage.
- Aranmula Kannadi’s make details only known to few people in one family belong to Aranmula and it is kept as a family secret.
- Artisans even still follow the traditional low-tech methods and same old materials. Modern technology has not influenced them at all.